From the Wires
Marin Software Finds Advertisers and Consumers Embrace Google's Shopping Ads
Google Product Listing Ads Reveals Increased Advertiser Investment and Higher Click-Through Rate by Consumers
Jan. 31, 2013 10:00 PM
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/31/13 -- Marin Software, provider of a leading digital ad management platform for advertisers and agencies, today announced the global results of a study on Google Product Listing Ads (PLAs). According to Marin's findings, in the last year the click share of PLAs as a percent of total search clicks increased 210% as consumers increased their engagement with the ads, which appear as image results in Google Search and as product listings within Google Shopping. Google transitioned Google Shopping to a commercial model in October 2012, and the bet appears to be paying off with Marin finding that advertisers increased their share of search budgets directed towards PLAs by nearly 600% in the last quarter of 2012.
- In May 2012, Google announced their intent to transition Google Shopping to a sponsored only format, raising concern whether advertisers would invest in shopping ads. According to Marin Software's analysis, after the transition in October 2012, advertisers increased their investment in Google Product Listing Ads nearly 600%.
- Marin Software's findings indicate users of Google search are seeing Product Listing Ads more often, and are increasing their engagement with the ad format. Marin's advertiser data reveals the share of search clicks resulting from PLAs increased 210% in the last year. Similarly, Marin found in the last quarter of 2012, the impression share of PLAs jumped 60% as holiday shoppers used the ads to make purchase decisions.
- Based on Marin's analysis, PLAs ended 2012 with a higher click-through rate (CTR) than text ads, and an average cost which is lower than that of traditional text ads. The combination of a higher CTR at a lower cost indicates favorable performance conditions for advertisers. As a result, Marin expects marketers to continue growing their investment in the ad format over time.
- Marin Software announced today a new PLA enhancement to the Marin platform that enables marketers to efficiently create and edit PLA campaigns, optimize product targets bids to maximize revenue, and generate valuable reports specific to PLA performance.
- Additional information on PLAs and Marin Software's analysis can be read at: http://insights.marinsoftware.com.
- "Google's decision appears to be paying off with increased user engagement and advertiser investment. During the fourth quarter of 2012, we saw some retailers allocate as much as 30% of their spend towards PLAs. Marin Software's new PLA solution allows marketers to harness the power of the new ad format as advertisers seek to acquire revenue online," said Nick Gill, managing director, Marin Software Australia.
About Marin Software
Marin Software Blog
About Marin Software:
Marin provides a leading revenue acquisition management platform used by advertisers and agencies to manage more than $4 billion in annualised ad investments. Offering an integrated platform for search, social, display, and mobile marketing, Marin helps advertisers and agencies improve financial performance, save time, and make better decisions. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices worldwide, Marin's technology powers marketing campaigns in more than 160 countries. For more information about Marin's products, please visit: www.marinsoftware.com/solutions/overview.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2215689