Today's Top SOA Links
From the Wires
New Year Resolutions for Parents: Follow These Family-Focused Suggestions from Learning Care Group
By: PR Newswire
Dec. 28, 2012 06:00 AM
NOVI, Mich., Dec. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Thinking about how to make the most of 2013? Learning Care Group offers these recommendations that will make a lasting difference for the whole family:
1. I will prioritize family time. Balancing work, school, and children's activities can be a challenge – but be sure to prioritize family time in your schedule. Sitting around a table and eating together as a family has many benefits. Taking time to connect and share a meal helps create a strong family unit. Designate a weekly game, family walk or movie night, and special time spent with family becomes a tradition.
2. I will give my child the gift of literacy. One of the most important things you can do to help your child learn is read to him every day. Treasure these moments of togetherness and share in your child's excitement over a favorite book. Not only will you create memories, you will help your child develop the foundation for a love of reading.
3. I will help my family eat healthier. The best way to encourage healthy eating in your family is to be a great role model. Include fruits and vegetables in every meal. Have healthy snacks on hand. Serve lean meats and other sources of protein. Serve water instead of sugary beverages and try and keep fast food trips to a minimum.
4. We will exercise regularly. Exercise is critical for the whole family. It increases energy and stamina, rids the body of tension, promotes relaxation and improves cardiovascular function. Exercise also supports learning by enhancing attention, memory, focus and ability to retain what is taught. Children need to engage in at least one hour of physical activity each day.
5. We will go green. There are small things your family can do every day to help the environment. Teach your children how to recycle. Turn off lights when you leave a room or turn off water while brushing your teeth. Buy fresh, organic produce. Save used paper for scrap paper. Each action will go a long way in preserving our planet for future generations.
6. I will help my family give back. Giving back can take many forms, including donating recyclables to a can drive, boxing up toys and used clothes for a resale shop, making a donation of time and/or money to a worthy cause of your child's choice. Talk with your family about how you can make a difference for others.
7. I will help create a sense of community for my child. It's important to become a member of your child's school community. Children feel more confident and comfortable in school when they feel their families are part of the experience. Chaperone a class field trip. Share a special interest or talent with the class. Donate objects from home to the classroom. Volunteer whenever possible. Whatever you choose to do, you can feel good knowing that your child will benefit in the long run.
8. I will celebrate my child's successes. Whether it's a good deed, great report card, a dance recital, an awesome art project or even just a thorough job on chores, find meaningful opportunities to praise your child. Celebrate positive behavior and special accomplishments. Let your child pick the movie on family night, or select and then help prepare a favorite meal. Proudly display their achievements. Remember, taking the time to acknowledge these successes with your child means more than how you actually celebrate them.
9. I will make safety a priority. Every minute, 17 kids are seen in emergency rooms with unintentional injuries – that's more than 9 million a year. Look for ways to improve safety in your home for 2013. If you have small children, install safety latches on cabinets and drawers. Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove. Use safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs. Unplug hair dryers. Create a fire evacuation plan. Each small action you take will help make your home safer for your family.
About Learning Care Group, Inc.
SOURCE Learning Care Group, Inc.
Web 2.0 Latest News
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
Most Read This Week